Arguments, are inevitable in life. There are times, when people don’t agree with what YOU want; what you do; what you say. In most situations, you can probably resolve the disagreement in an amicable manner. Other times, it brings out the worst in people.
Here are some tips to help you cope, the next time you are in a heated discussion.
1. Don’t let those words escapeDuring a verbal hurricane, your temperament usually boils over. You will have offensive things bubbling up in your throat, threatening to burst out of your mouth!
If you go ahead and say it anyway, you might regret it when you have calmed down. Or maybe, you agonize what you could have said. You might be able to apologize once the whole thing blows over, but you can't take your words back.
2. Ask yourself, “Is this really something worth arguing about”By all means, I am not asking you to be a headless chicken! Sometimes, our ego gets in the way and somehow we NEED to prove that we are right! Arguments can stem from the prettiest of discussions. If it all started from playful banter, don't let it get out of hand.
4. Try to prevent any misunderstandingsMany arguments start where one person communicates in a fuzzy or unclear manner, which leads the other person to feel disrespected or hurt. Paraphrase what you have understood to prevent misunderstanding, miscommunication or incomplete communication.
5. “Package” your opinion/view pointChoose your words carefully. Try to stay away from sarcasm, insults etc.
6. Stay CalmTry not to get “provoked”. Just because the other person raises the voice, doesn’t mean you have to. This is where your temperament will be tested. You can keep completely calm and dominate a conversation without even raising their voice.
What you NEED to remember, when you Don’t Remember the above!When caught up in a heated conversation, it’s likely that you will not remember any of the above mention tips.
What you need to engrave in your mind is
* Your point of view is NOT the ONLY one (everyone should have)
* The way you argue, will determine how well the issue is resolved.
Are you finding yourself in a more disagreements than you prefer? How do you manage to stay calm through it all?
- Tame Your Temper; 6 Tips That Actually Work
- 6 Timeless Ways To Stay Out Of Trouble
- 8 Ways To Ease Yourself Out Of Nosy Questions Without Being Rude
- 7 Ways – How NOT to annoy people
Enjoy the Post? Please bookmark it and share it with others.Del.icio.usDiggReddit Stumble Tweet this!