Everyone makes mistakes, true.. but sometimes we get ourselves into very sticky situations! The reasons vary but when you make that mistake, and you know (most often) that you should have known better.
1. Not admitting the mistakeYou should inform the parties in concern about your mistake. It will reflect badly on you, if someone else discovers it. Worst yet, if someone else tells the parties in concern.
2. Deny that it ever happened (/Cover up the mistake)You may fear that the response might be loss of status, ridicule, humiliation etc. Yet, even the most cursory study of political and corporate cover-ups in recent years will show, concealment uncovered inevitably does more damage than the original error.
3. Not taking steps to “fix” or alleviate the effects of the mistakeExample,
You accidentally deleted several important records from the database.
When you go to your boss to confess your mistake, have a plan on how you can correct it. Are there backups, what alternative measures can be taken etc
Of course, depending on the extent of the mistake there may be very little you can do to rectify it. Often, showing true remorse with a humble apology goes a long way.
4. Blame factors outside your controlThere may be relevant contributory factors such as the long hours you have been working or the fact that you didn’t receive some information you needed, and it may be relevant to mention these, but don’t use them as pillars to hide behind.
5. Attack other people for their mistakesMore common with siblings at young age! Some, never seem to grow out of it!
6. Beating yourself up over the mistakeThe fact that you made a mistake does not negate all the accomplishments and successes you have achieved. Don’t drag yourself down by constantly going over and over the mistake. Obsessing can’t undo the mistake or rectify it. Resolve never to make that mistake again and move on.
7. Not learning from the mistakeCarefully evaluate why you made the mistake? What can you learn from it? A mistake has value only if you learn from it.
8. Not taking measures to ensure it doesn’t happen againWhat can be done to prevent the mistake from happening again?
Anything you would like to add to the list?
1. Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
2. Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average
- Why Do Smart People Do Stupid Things Sometimes?
- Give Up The Guilt.You're Not A Bad Person
- Character:What Every Person Ought To Know
- Getting Past Your Past, Is It Really Possible?
Enjoy the Post? Please bookmark it and share it with others.Del.icio.usDiggReddit Stumble Tweet this!